Thursday, March 31, 2011

Am I Just All Talk?

I have spent the last few months thinking, praying, talking and writing about getting outside the walls of my church and actually being the church. I have talked boldly of stepping out and being God's hands and feet. I have written down words I hope inspire me and others to not just sit in our comfy pews on Sunday's but to be active.

I even wrote a post about sacrifice costing us. It was my last blog post actually where I quoted King David saying that he would not make a sacrifice that wouldn't cost him.

Interesting how God will often see if we are just all words!

Dave received a call from a friend at the start of this week. This is a family who have been going through a really rough path for the last few months. She is planning on moving states and taking her younger children with her, but her older son is studying at a local tafe and will be staying here. We have been trying to help support this family during their trial in a number of ways, but hadn't heard from them for a few weeks.

In a nutshell this is what the phone call was about; they need a place for their son to stay, and were wondering if we would be happy to have him come live with us.

Well in theory, yes we would. But how will it affect our lives? Will it cost us money to have him there? How will we fit all our stuff from the study in the spare room so we have space for him? Would it be uncomfortable for us all?

All these thoughts popped into my head. And then so did the though "Am I just all talk?"

Later that night I was reading my Bible in bed. I came across these verses.

"If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?  Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth". 1 John 3:17-18

I have possessions - more really than I need. I have a house, and spare rooms, and Dave got a pay rise, and..... I really have no good reason not to say yes

I don't want to just be all talk. Faith without deeds is dead. If I have, then God has blessed me for a reason, and not just so I can have more.

We are, of course, praying about God's plan in all this, and working on a solution that works for everyone involved, but we will definitely do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment