Well, all this week we have been able to say "we are going to America this year"!!! Talk about lighting a fire under our butts! Our great adventure had seemed so far away when we were saying "next year" but holy moley all of a sudden it has become "this year." As in 7 months time we will be in the US of A!!!
Well not exactly 7 months, as we fly out (when I officially book the flights, hehehe) on the 9th of July!
We have actually booked two things for our trip so far.
one is tickets to this:
So on July 31st we will be sitting somewhere pretty similar to this
I think our seats are somewhere up to the top left hand stands
Dave is super excited!
The other thing we have booked is our accommodation at the Grand Canyon North Rim.
Oh. My. Gosh.
We are staying in one of these cute cabins
And the scenery, oh, spectacular!
I plan on spending a lot of time just sitting around and drinking in the beauty.
We still have a lot to get organised (like..oh..plane tickets!) but we also want as much of our trip to be spontaneous as possible. We plan on being in the USA for six weeks and have a pretty good idea of the main things we want to do, but we are also allowing for freedom of changing our minds, for just seeing where the road will take us.
We plan to buy a car when we get there and drive our way to as many adventures as we can find!
At this stage we have a basic idea of how things will go.
1. We start with about a week in Houston with friends
2. We will then have about 2 weeks to get to Indianapolis for the Brickyard 400. We are going to go via Nashville, Washington DC, NYC (eeek!!) and Niagara Falls. I'm also hoping to get in Savannah, Charleston, and the beaches along North and South Carolina!
3. From Indianapolis we are heading to Chicago which will be the start of the Mother Road! Yes folks, we are doing Route 66!! We will have about 10 days to get from Chicago to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.
4. From there we will head to Las Vegas and then onto California.
5. We will finish with 3 days at Disneyland!!!
What we do in between those locations will entirely depend how we feel on any given day! I am completely Type A so it will be quite a stretch for me to be so unorganised and spontaneous for such a big chunk of time. but what a crazy adventure we are embarking on...
have a great day!