Thursday, August 30, 2012

Books in August

I love to read.

I also love to buy books which is why we have heaps on the shelves that I have yet to get to, and why I put in a Book Depository (free shipping anywhere in the world - yes thank you) order last week despite having books on the shelf that are unread!

Over the last few months I haven't been reading as much as usual and I have really missed it. For most of my life the very last thing I would do at night is lay in bed and read for an hour or so before going to sleep. During my younger years I could be found hidden under the covers with a torch by my parents, well after I should have had the lights off.

I have also been known to be found sitting behind the curtains using the moonlight to read after said torch was confiscated!

I like books.

So I thought that as a way to encourage myself (and others!) to read more again I would put up here at the end of each month what books I have been reading.

(Oh, by the way Dave, this might mean I need to buy books more often, of course only after I have finished all the ones already on the shelves. Maybe.)

August book list.


I finally finished "Grace for the Good Girl" by Emily Freeman. I actually started this one back in January while away on holiday and for some reason I put it aside for the last 8 months?! So glad I finished it!


I was given this my the midwife who started "The Birth House," the place where we did our birth classes, and I finished it off last week. This book "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" is a MUST read, especially for anyone gearing up for their first birth experience. It is full of information on everything from how the body works, to all the medical interventions as well as lots of empowering stories and facts. Ina May Gaskin is a highly regarded midwife who's personal statistics with regards to natural birth vs. medical intervention for the women she has worked with are just incredible. I cannot more highly recommend this book.


This is one of those ones that has been sitting on the shelf for years! I bought it about four years ago at the Hillsong Conference after hearing Chris speak at one of the elective sessions. Christine Caine is the real deal. She is straight talking, passionate and not the least bit fake in her presentation. I love that! "Stop Acting Like a Christian and Just be One" is just like listening to her speak - funny, honest and straight to the point. I also really like the devotional style second half of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment