Friday, July 6, 2012

Thoughts On...Machine Gun Preacher


I watched this movie this morning while eating breakfast. (It's based on a true story. The real Machine Gun Preacher's website is here.)

I have to say, it messed me up.

I spend far too much time worried about my first world problems. Like how annoying it is when I can't get a car park near the supermarket doors, or when the internet works too slowly for my liking.

I am incredibly blessed to have been born into not only the family that I have, but also the country that I live in. I live in a safe country. Most likely I will never be the victim of a crime. My child will have cheap and often free medical access anytime they might need it. My kids will go to school, always have food in their belly's and clothes on their bodies. I have a solid roof over my head, electricity and heating at the flick of a switch, clean water for drinking and washing by turning a faucet.

I am beyond blessed.

But all these blessings are not just for me to enjoy. I am not blessed so that I can simply go through life being comfortable and having all of my wants met. God has not given me much, just to hoard it all too myself.

From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. Luke 12:48b

While we are not all called to do such radical things as Sam Childers, we are called to do what we can. I have been given much, I know that God demands much of me. My much may not be packing up and leaving my home (or one day it might be!), but it might be small things, daily things, where I sacrifice so that someone else may be blessed.



No comments:

Post a Comment